About Masters, Mates & Pilots
Masters, Mates & Pilots
In Peace & War Since 1887
Members of the International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots (MM&P) include the world’s best qualified and most highly trained professional mariners.
MM&P represents: US-Coast Guard licensed masters and mates on US-flag commercial vessels on international voyages, on the inland waterways and on civilian-crewed ships in the federal government fleet; masters, mates and other marine personnel who work on tugs, ferries, dredges and harbor tour vessels throughout the United States, including in the San Francisco Bay, on New York City ferry systems and state ferry systems in Alaska and Washington State.
The Mission of MM&P
MM&P was created to protect the rights and working conditions of members of the seagoing maritime community.
The union fulfills its mission by:
- representing MM&P members in negotiations with shipowners;
- supporting the efforts of other maritime unions to achieve decent working conditions; and
- working with international organizations to improve standards and conditions in the global maritime community.
MM&P seeks to improve the maritime working environment through political action and involvement in the regulatory process that shapes laws and regulations governing maritime work.
On the national level, MM&P represents the interests of mariners before Congress and the many governmental agencies that regulate shipping or whose decisions affect mariners, such as the U.S. Coast Guard, the Maritime Administration, the Department of Defense and the Department of State.
On the international level, because oceangoing shipping is regulated through United Nations organizations, MM&P actively participates in the work of the International Transport Workers Federation (ITF), representing the interests of all mariners at the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Labor Organization (ILO).
MM&P has five membership groups:
Offshore, United Inland, Pilots, Atlantic Maritime, and the Federal Employees Membership Group.
check the membership group highlights section of our website for more information.
- The international headquarters of MM&P is located near Baltimore, Maryland
- MM&P’s training facility is the Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies (MITAGS) with an East Coast campus in Maryland and a West Coast campus near Seattle.
- MM&P has an employer-funded, trust-administered, health and benefit plan.
- MM&P has hiring halls in port cities throughout the continental United States and Hawaii, and on the Great Lakes.
- MM&P has 35 affiliated state and U.S. Navy civil service pilot groups in the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.