Maritime Institute for Research and Industrial Development (MIRAID)
The Maritime Institute for Research and Industrial Development (MIRAID) is a Washington DC based non-profit corporation formed in September 1978. MIRAID represents U.S.-flag shipping companies engaged in all aspects of America’s foreign and domestic shipping trades which have collective bargaining relationships with the International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots (MM&P). MM&P’s contracted shipping companies contribute to MIRAID pursuant to their collective bargaining agreements with MM&P and together, the MM&P and its shipping companies constitute MIRAID’s governing body. C. James Patti has served as MIRAID’s President since 1985 and Stephen Wines serves as MIRAID’s Counsel.
Since its inception, MIRAID has provided a forum for MM&P and its shipping companies to discuss and debate issues affecting the operation of U.S.-flag commercial vessels. The officers and staff of MIRAID work to achieve a consensus on proposed solutions which will strengthen the economic viability and competitiveness of the U.S.-flag vessel operations of its member U.S.-flag shipping companies and which will thereby preserve and create shipboard jobs for the members of the MM&P.
To this end, MIRAID engages in all lawful and proper activities within the scope of legislative and regulatory affairs. A registered lobbying organization, MIRAID:
- supports the programs and policies important to the operation of U.S.-flag commercial vessels, including the Jones Act, the Maritime Security Program, U.S.-flag cargo preference shipping requirements, and the tonnage tax for U.S.-flag vessels;
- drafts and analyzes legislative and regulatory proposals;
- advocates positions on behalf of membership;
- disseminates information and communicates with elected and appointed government officials, the media and with other private and public organizations and groups concerned about or involved in matters relating to the utilization of U.S.-flag commercial vessels;
- represents its members at government proceedings and in other public and private forums;
- engages in all other lobbying and other activities incidental to and in conjunction with its primary mission of promoting the use of U.S.-flag commercial vessels.
To help MIRAID achieve its lobbying goals, MIRAID works closely with MM&P and assists MM&P in the implementation of its Political Contribution Fund (PCF). The MM&P PCF relies solely on MM&P-member contributions. The use of the MM&P PCF to support individuals running for elected office who understand the importance of a strong U.S.-flag merchant marine to the economic, military and homeland security of the United States helps provide MIRAID, MM&P and its U.S.-flag shipping companies with a greater voice in our nation’s capital. More than 90% of the Congressional and Senate candidates supported by the MM&P PCF in 2012 won election. This enhances the opportunity for MIRAID to further its goals and objectives on behalf of MM&P, its U.S.-flag shipping companies, and the United States-flag merchant marine. If you are an MM&P member, retiree, employee or family member, visit our Political Contribution Fund Page to learn more about the MM&P PCF and to make a PCF donation now.